Looking for ways to getting noticed in the search results?
Google My Business is a free tool that you can use to promote your business on Google Search and Maps. Claiming (and optimizing) your listing is one of the most important things you can do to improve your search ranking.
The Google My Business listing is displayed in the top-right section of the search results page. If you haven’t already claimed your listing, you should do so.
In order to activate your listing you will need to complete the verification process. This will confirm that you are the rightful owner of the business. For most businesses, you can verify ownership over the phone, via SMS, or by requesting and receiving a postcard to your physical location. Learn more about how you can verify your Google Business page here.
Once you have setup and verified your Google Business profile you can manage your listing by adding details about your business, including opening hours, contact information, photos, and more. You will also be able to reply to the Google Reviews your customers leave for your business.
Here are some tips from Yoast SEO for optimizing your Google Business listing:
- Claim your listing using your full business name
- Provide as much information for your listing as you can
- Check your physical address including postal code (TIP: Try to use the same address format as Canada Post. You can lookup your address here)
- Check your opening times (TIP: You can post holiday hours too)
- Review your photos, do they accurately represent your business or can you improve them?
- Keep in mind that the information listed in your profile should match what is posted on your website
Once your account is verified it is important to keep your listing up to date. Keep your listing active, monitor your reviews, and stay on top of things.